mal asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

Are gypsy vanner horses spooky like a arabian?

Most are not, unless they have been traumatized to cause it. The vanner is a warm blood bred horse for calmness and steadyness.

The Vanners I have seen here, are very docile. They are small, choppy strided animals. I have yet to see any that resembal the fantastic photos we see on the internet.

• Amber

By Gypsy Vanner you mean just the common Irish Cob? (I get a bit confused by U.S names) They are 10 a penny here and we all laugh so hard when they go for thousands in the U.S.

But yes, they can be. A horse isn't "calm" from birth just because of it's breed. They have to become accustomed to things. A draft type can be as calm as a lake or a uncontrollable as a rapid. I used to work for Addams in Southwold, they worked with the shires that pulled the big old Addams carts. Calm as anything. ,y mate had a shire, nutty as a fruitcake. So uptight if he stood in a draught he twanged.

You'll get the odd horse that's chilled out by nature. But any horse can be made calm and any horse can be made spooky. Breed isn't really an indication to go by.

• Amber

The more you work with him correctly the calmer he'll get

• Snezzy

Hardly. The ones working in draught need to be a calm as anything. Arabians are expected to behave as if they are on fire.

You can easily find examples that are the opposite of what I have just written.