Md asked in TravelUnited StatesWashington, D.C. · 2 months ago

What do the letters ‘D’ and ‘C’ stand for in the capital city Washington D.C.?

Best Answer

D and C in capital city Washington D.C stands for District of Columbia.

democratic cult

• Lôn

District of Columbia.

The capital of the USA is the "District of Columbia." Washington is a city in the District of Columbia. They are 14 other cities in the District of Columbia. They use D.C. like they do the two letter abbreviation for states. MD, SD, IA, and so on. Even though all the government buildings are more or less in Washington, it is only the capital city because it is in the District of Columbia.

It means 'District of Colombia'.

I note you subscribed here only 30 minutes ago and have asked 4 questions (one of which was repeated). All these questions could have been answered by yourself with just the minimum of research.

As far as this question is concerned, if you are an American citizen and you don't know what the DC after Washington means I have to say you should be ashamed of yourself.

I am not American nor do I live in the US but even I know this.

• oikoσ

De Capital, of course ;-)

• Katie

District of Columbia - that is what people in the UK have been told the letters mean.

• Logan

“DC” stands for the District of Columbia. Columbia was a poetic name for the United States used at the time

Domicile Candidates 😃............