Should mom have insisted on giving him $1?

My bf is 21 and he agreed out of foster care. He works full time as a school custodian and I'd in the national guard. He also is going to night school to become a paralegal. On Sundays he comes over and does his laundry at our place and stays for dinner. He always brings something for dinner and this time it... show more My bf is 21 and he agreed out of foster care. He works full time as a school custodian and I'd in the national guard. He also is going to night school to become a paralegal.

On Sundays he comes over and does his laundry at our place and stays for dinner.

He always brings something for dinner and this time it was lemon bars. He had it on a plate covered with plastic wrap.

When he was clearing off the table after dinner my dad dropped his plate and it broke.

Mom was all like we'll replace it.

And Adam said she didn't have to. He got it at the Dollar Tree.

Mom said then let me give you a dollar for it.

And Adam said it wasn't necessary because they were so kind to him.

But Mom insisted and he took the dollar but I could tell it really bothered him.

I also know that he hates having to do laundry at our house, but Mom offered and he is totally on his own trying hard to make ends meet.

I also know that Mom understandsb he lives paycheck to paycheck and even with the National Guard, school is really expensive even with the financial aid he gets.