Can you still be good at something without talent?

This question has been bugging me for a long time. Basically, if you're someone with no natural talent or skill at lets say, an E-SPORT (since it's a mental athlete type of game instead of physical)

If you persistently try, will you improve or will you hit a brick wall? I've seen a lot of friends hit brick walls and when I pass them the response is pretty much "you have talent at these type of things and I don't". I don't understand. I have a physical defect in my left hand that hinders me so much and the only reason I succeed is because of "talent"? I feel like it's because I actually try to improve.

Best Answer

I have a feeling that a lot of the people who say "I have zero talent" actually have modest talents. It's often possible to do something without a special gift for doing it, but it takes more work.

About being good at something, well there's good and there's great.

It's often possible for a musician to make a little money in a small town where there's not too much competition. But to be a star in the music business, it's important to have no talent whatsoever.

• Masonite2 months agoReport

"there's good and there's great" sums it up for me, thanks!

• LP7

For you could well be a combo of both.Will and persistence along with careful eye hand co-ordination.You might modify the move because of your left hand defect but still your mind and body work well together.More than others.Without it sure you can be good at something but what you have sets you apart from the rest.

• mars

I'll say no. Many are proficient at skills, but those with natural talent are better.

You can't because if you have no talent, you're basically trash