Can someone with Asperger’s syndrome this type of Autism have rages in a tantrum like way too or is this just in HFA?

I found out that I have Asperger’s syndrome but never thought of because I had some delayed speech. Anyways this kid in my LRC class had rages that were extreme like in a tantrum way and was said to also have behavioral problems. Before I knew him the teacher said to us that we are having a an autistic student in our room. When I heard the word AUTISM I thought she meant a person who couldn’t talk. Anyhow since the first day I seen him it was totally the opposite of what I thought. He had extreme language skills and talked in an adult like way surprisingly even in social situations. Besides the point I would hear that he would have these extreme fits of rage. He would use the word Aspie for himself but the teacher seemed to not approve of it. Do you think this kid had Asperger’s syndrome or did he have Autism? And by the way this was by the year 2012 to 2013.

Asperger's meant autism with no speech delay it isn't "the top end of the scale" or mild autism although this myth is VERY pervasive it is untrue.

But the term Asperger's has been taken away by the makers of the DSM and they've lumped it into Autism Spectrum Disorder.

There are some people with both Aspergers and Autism that have PhDs.

• Nathan

Those don't sound like tantrums - they sound like meltdowns. This happens when the person becomes overwhelmed, most likely due to sensory processing issues, and people with sensory issues can face the same problem. Regardless of the degree of autism, if you have sensory issues then you can have a meltdown. Aspergers is no longer a term widely used, instead of falls under the umbrella term autism (there's high to low functioning so all kids in the spectrum are a little different)

• Nathan

Yes I know, but I was referring to what he was describing

i think we all do to some degree

Asperger’s does not technically exist, anymore. It's all "autism spectrum disorder". And yes, any "level" of autistic person can experience rage or tantrums, as can neurotypical individuals.

There's a scale that ranges through Asperger's to Autism. People can be at any point on the scale. People with Autism are easily overwhelmed- life to them feels like constantly being in a tunnel with loud noises and flashing lights, and people elbow to elbow. When they get overwhelmed, they can freak out and have tantrums. Asperger's is more about missing the social cues that most people get- not seeing when people are annoyed by the expressions on their faces, or not understanding when you're not reacting normally. People all along the scale can be very smart, and can be functional (holding down a job, being independent) or not being functional.

• TheBellJar

• Jay

You can't "find out" you have ASD. You are either medically diagnosed with it or you are not. Your incoherent grammar is a further indicator that you do not have it.

*** boogers.

U dont have aspergers m8 for delayed speech.

I had delayed speech and I can fully comprenhend other's feelings.