Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Would the US have been better off as a confederation?

Seems like it ain't working out the way it turned out.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Confederacy of dunces is what the southern states tried to make us.

• 2 months ago

Quite a few people replying seem to believe you're referring to the Confederacy, rather than the confederation of states that our nationally was originally established as under our founding fathers.

I don't believe we'd be better off, as we could easily be living in a nation more akin to the European Union than the modern US... aka. a group of independent nations, each with their own laws and currencies.

• American Atheist
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

The confederation of States was a temporary government that was used until the constitution could be written and ratified, it was never meant to be the system of governance used for the USA

• 2 months ago

The USA started as a confederation so no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articles_of_Confeder...

Some of the weaknesses of having a confederation type of government lingered and that was a lot of the reason for the USA's civil war (1861 to 1865).

• American Atheist
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

The US was not a confederation at the time of the Civil war, the US was a confederation from 1776-1787 between declaring independence and the Constitution being ratified, the US was never a confederacy after that, the civil war didn't start till 1861

• 2 months ago

It's impossible to predict how things might of turned out, but I think I can fairly say the US would be far worse for blacks, women, Asians, Latinos, anyone who's LBGT, or Catholic.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

How conservative of you to wish that the modern US is still a slave-owning state.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I think it would have been better off as a theocracy.

• 2 months ago

the US would have been better off if we had let the south leave

• Bob
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

oh sure slavery and feudalism ftw!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

OF course it would.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.