Why is my computer's cpu running so hot for no reason? please answer?

I have an iMac early 2008 running macOS Catalina beta with an OS Patcher (which is normally unsupported) and the GPU was normal temperature but the CPU was getting super hot like 180 F and the cpu fan was spinning on minimum so I manually turned the CPU fan up to maximum and the cpu only cooled to 140 F and wont go cooler and im doing nothing but leaving the computer on idle while the gpu cooled down a lot to like 120 F

Best Answer

its probably going to break, mine did that before it broke

If you are comfortable taking computers apart, you can open your laptop or desktop. Clean out the fans and other dust inside and if that does not work unscrew the fan from the top of the CPU on the motherboard, clean off the old thermal paste and replace it with new thermal paste.

You guys know these questions from Phoebe aren't real, right?

Check the cooler if it is working properly.

Get a USB box or muffin fan to extract hot air from the top slot. Tape on a simple cardboard hood to channel the air to the fan. Costs about $13 on Ebay.

Source(s): My 2008 iMacs have those. I got Walsoon or Lanyi brand "Cool Cold Ice Troll III" fan boxes, they drop the temp by 30*F.

Feel free to blame Apple for that. Their computers are designed to push the thermal limits of the processors (& will thermal throttle themselves) in favor of more silent operations.

Most computers, even with proper air ventilation will run at 120 F when in a near-idle state (with fans running at minimal speeds) & run around 140 F on heavier loads (where the fan would typically ramp up). The only way to go lower is to go with liquid cooling or running your system in a chilled location (refrigeration or freezer environments).

Hope this sheds some light on the subject.

• ioerr

is the heat sink clogged up with dust bunnies?

Hey phoebe patterson i am seeing u a lot of places lately its been a pelasure