Should my boyfriend take me to the airport early in the morning?

Hi everyone,

So I have been dating a guy for about a year now and we are in a relatively healthy relationship. However I always feel like I am putting him out when I ask him to give me rides. I know it is not his job to give me rides to friend's houses or to places but this time I asked him to take me to the airport. The last time I flew I did not ask him, nor did he offer but I was with my family so I didn't really care. I have given him a ride from the airport at midnight before once like 6 months ago. Well this time I asked him 3 days before my trip, and when I first asked him he said he had to workout in the morning, but I asked him if he could workout later if possible but he said the gym gets crowded later in the day. Then I told him the flight was earlier than when he worked out (at 7 am so I would need a ride at 5:30am) which is early I understand. He complained it was early and that he wanted to sleep in a little then workout that day because he had a test the day before. He agreed to take me but it kind of made me feel pretty bad so I said I would just take a taxi or Uber. I understand it is early and he does need to workout and get stuff done the next day, but he does not have a job and is college student only taking 1 class twice a week for an hour. I was just kind of upset considering I would take him no questions asked and I have a job and go to school full time. Do you think I have a right to feel upset or I should not expect him to want to take me? Thanks.

32 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

One of the best rules of thumb I ever learned was that in order to keep friends you never want to ask them to help you move or ask them to take you to the airport. You don't get to decide whether he's too busy to do this thankless task. In future just arrange your own transportation and you won't have this issue.

• 2 months ago

i think u shudnt feel upset as its a bit early and u have other options

• 2 months ago

I’m married, and my parents have high standards for “gentlemanly” behavior. However, they’ve always said if it’s at an inconvenient hour, and you’re not broke, Uber/Lyft is affordable and it’s selfish to make someone get up early/stay up late.

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Interesting question. My father never did airport duty- didn't matter who you were or when you were leaving (day or night, early or late). He just didn't. No one even bothered to ask. We lived on Long Island at the time and the two local airports were not far but the traffic was often bad. He just didn't want to do "city driving." Your expectations are different, but we don't know the full reason for his refusal. Sure you can be upset but at the end of the day you have to decide if his good traits outweigh this refusal. Taxi cabs, Uber, Lyft.... all options.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Sounds like he has a lot of time on his hands to do his work-out. Don't let yourself be a second priority next to his already lazy schedule. Smh... some guys.

• 2 months ago

I havent really heard of refusing to give a ride to the airport especially from a so. You two should get your priorities in order. One person can be responsible for ruining a relationship but it takes the two of you for some things or you both have failed.

• 2 months ago

**** this guy, if u was my Gf I would take u to the airport even if I had a million other things to do

• ron h
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If this is a couple of times a year and he's resisting, you need a new BF.  If it's weekly, you need to figure out another way to the airport.  (can you take a bus part way?)

• Alan H
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Far better simply to move on.

Less effort from him, less complaints from you

• 2 months ago

Sounds like he doesnt love you that much. A man in love would lay aside everything for the love of his life.

• SCATTY c
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

By YOUR argument - a woman in love wouldn't be asking for lifts from the love of her life

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.