Amber asked in TravelUnited StatesOrlando · 2 months ago

Alligators in Disney World?

I am terrified of alligators phobic level and I was wondering how safe the resort was do I have to travel over water with alligators or will I see any? I’m staying at a resort near animal kingdom.

Best Answer

You are safe from alligators if you don't go even, or near, any of the lakes or other water (except the swimming pools, bathrooms, etc.) while you are there.

You don't have to go in the water or even on any boats.

Do not go on the Jungle River Cruise ride, because, even though you won't see any real alligators, you might get scared by a fake one.

To get to Florida, you will probably go on an airplane that travels over water with alligators, but you won't see them from the airplane, because airplanes fly too high for you to see alligators below them.

When you travel between different parts of Disneyworld, you may either be in a vehicle that is driven across bridges that go over water or on a monorail that goes over water. There probably won't be any alligators visible, but don't look out the window.

I'd say you're safe from the gators when you travel in the park. However, this is Florida, and the rule of thumb is where you find any body of natural fresh water, you'll find alligators, so you might end up seeing some.

I don't remember seeing any crossing via boat to the magic kingdom. Though maybe they're there?? In any event, you could also take the Monorail to the park.

Maybe you should go to Disneyland instead?? Not any gators in S California.

I haven't heard of too may people getting eaten by alligators when visiting the Disney money extraction organisation.

• Periferalist

Eaten by them, no. Unfortunately, a boy was killed at one of the resorts within the last few years when he went into the water of a lagoon at dusk and was attacked by one.

I live in Florida, I'll just say it is very rare to see an alligator unless you go someplace they are common / protected (Everglades, Mayakka River State Park), with one exception being during mating season (in the spring). During mating season is when alligators make the news.

You should assume that any freshwater pond/lake/river has an alligator in it.

• Periferalist

I live in Orlando. It's not uncommon to see them in bigger lakes around here.

• drip

You don’t have travel over water from any Disney resort to any Disney theme park. There are other forms of transportation other than a boat

• MS

You don't have to go on any boats if you don't want to. Boat travel between certain destinations is an option at Disney World, but there are other ways. However, you are in no danger if you are in a boat. Just stay away from the edges of the large lakes/lagoons and you'll be fine.

• Cogito

Disney does its best to ensure that there are no alligators on its property, but as Florida has a lot of them, there's bound to be the occasional one which gets through. But as long as you don't get too close to any of the lakes or wander off into dense vegetation near the lakes, you'll be fine. 

I would avoid going to Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach.

You may see some. If you see a body of water in Florida, you should assume that there are alligators.