I am considering applying to the USAFA. I just started my junior year this August. Graduation date is May 2021.?

These are some things to consider my eligibility:

>4.38 weighted and 4.0 unweighted GPA.

>1100 SAT

>Treasurer of the Business Professionals of America

>Officer for Interact

>NHS (2yrs), SECME (2yrs), Interact (2yrs), BPA (3yrs), JROTC (3yrs)

>2 AP classes passed so far, taking 4 this year and 5 next year

>Second year band member (I didn't do it sophomore year)

>Second year bank teller for my school's credit union

>Office 365 Certified (Word, PP, Excel)

>100+ community service hours

Is it even worth starting the application process?

If so, what can I do to help increase my chances of getting in.

Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

Your SAT may be a bit low, but your GPA more than makes up for it. Remember, half the admitted applicants' SAT scores were below average (that said, you have plenty of time to take a prep class and retake the SAT, and you should definitely consider doing so).

What is missing is athletics. The military academies are very physically rigorous. Even if you pass the fitness assessment, they want to see athletic ECs.

• Daniel

Your GPA is good.  Your SAT could be better and you should also consider taking the ACT.

Your extracurriculars aren't bad, but having a sport on that list would help.  If you hold any leadership positions in JROTC, that would also be a plus.

Also, no one calls it "the USAFA."  It's just "USAFA," pronounced "you SAH fah."  

Source(s): Been there, done that, got the ring.
    • Daniel

Also, class rank matters since it is hard to compare a 4.0 from one school against a 4.0 from another school.  Just about everyone that gets in has straight As or very close to it.

i would just apply and see, you never know, you might get in

• John

Unlike most colleges, the service academies place a high value on athletic prowess. I would recommend that you compete in at least 1 sport during each of the 3 (fall, winter, spring) high school sports seasons.

• .

The average SAT score is 1068. You are not much above that. You chances of admission are about 54 percent.

• Daniel

OK. I thought you were saying that the average SAT school for successful USAFA candidates was 1068.