My tree branches are hitting my neighbor's garage... what would you do?

There is a tree on my property that its branches have gotten so big that they're hanging over and are against my neighbor's garage to the point where they've knocked down his garage gutter.. he politely asked me to trim the branches so they don't keep leaning on his garage, of course he had to... show more There is a tree on my property that its branches have gotten so big that they're hanging over and are against my neighbor's garage to the point where they've knocked down his garage gutter.. he politely asked me to trim the branches so they don't keep leaning on his garage, of course he had to subtly start claiming if he wants he can take this to court/law but doesn't want to, and me being a lover not a fighter told him not to worry and that I'll take care of it ASAP... Talking to friends, family, searching on the internet and even tree cutting companies everyone told me acts of nature are not my liability. I found a small time landscaper that told me he can take care of the branches for $280... Should I just A) pay and take care of it, B) not do anything at all, or C) try to reason with my neighbor to pay half since I technically don't have to do anything.. I'm sure even as far as city ordinance goes that if the branches are hanging on your garage/property like the scenario here that you have to take care of it yourself regardless of which property its coming from but I don't know what to do here. I'm afraid if I argue with my neighbor about paying half that it'll ruin our ties since granted its only $140 I'd be saving if he even did pay half. Also I thought about telling him like hey just trim the branches yourself, branches hanging on your side become your liability but on the other hand the tree is technically growing from my yard.. any advice would help.

thank you