What will happen, if after running for a long distance, you don't stretch?

Best Answer

Your muscle fibers will get shorter, you will lose flexibility, and the probability of your getting injured will slightly increase.

BUT, this will happen if you don't stretch -- regardless of any temporal relationship between when you stretch and when you run.

In "Galloway's Book on Running", Olympic athlete Jeff Galloway wrote that he avoided stretching before running and after running. The best time to stretch, he wrote, was any other time.

try a little warm-up run, say about a mile, then stretch when the muscles are warm and more flexible. then, after a gentle stretch, try the distance training runs.

it seems that even the track-speed work-outs benefits by warming-up first, then stretching, afterwards doing the stress and strength exercise.

when you have a work-out, at completion, take a gentle run to cool-down; this removes the lactic-acid build-up from the muscles and relieves stiffness and soreness.

• .

You may find yourself more stiff/sore later than you would otherwise be. I'm a big fan of stretching, as part of my cool down, but then I've felt the benefits and find if I don't stretch I'm more sore and tight later that day and the next day (and that can lead to higher chances of some injuries).

Some runners never stretch or do any type of formal cool down and others are 'religious' about it. Many people fall somewhere in between. I'd rather err on the side of caution even if I didn't know for sure that it helped me (it's certainly not going to do harm, if you do it properly).

I warm up and get all my joints lubed up before I run, and cool down/stretch afterward (even for short runs). You only get 1 body in this life, so it makes sense to do what you can to take care of it.

stretching is for old people

30 and over

Nothing stretching is overrated and not even required