Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 2 months ago

In the UK is £20,000 considered a lot to spend on a wedding?

Best Answer

yea i normally spend about 15,000 on every wedding after my wife gets mad at me and divorces my ***

I wonder if you are splitting the cost. If its ten thousand each that's not bad at all. I'm poor and even I could swing that.

• Foofa

The average wedding in the UK now costs £30,355, a new survey has revealed.

• Kelly

"A lot" comes down to budget and affordability. That's a lot to some, too much to others and average for some too and for some it's cheap. Not everyone has the same budget.

My husband and I spent more than that, but we both also had 6 figure incomes. We both already owned homes and were overall well established when we met.

We had $0.00 in debt for the wedding, we paid cash for it. We also paid the expenses of our wedding party (in the US, where we are traditionally the bridal party pays their own expenses).

• Caz

In my personal social circle, that is a Jesus-Christ-bananas amount to spend on a wedding. Of course, my personal social circle involves only working- and middle-class people on limited budgets who need to pay mortgages. There are going to be different classes of people in different situations who spend significantly more.

• Jerry

If your annual income in is the millions, probably not. If your annual income is 32K, it's a hell of a lot of spending.

"Average wedding cost" numbers usually means the average cost for the kind of wedding that involves a professional wedding planner &/or a hired venue like a banquet hall or hotel. This "average" doesn't include less extravagant marryings like the folks who wed in their homes or at a park or at the church where they are members, those who celebrate in their homes, at a park, in the church basement. And doesn't include those "no fuss, just a visit to the courthouse" marriages at all.

• Suzy Q

According to wedding industry 'statistics' it is below average.

According to real live people who have things like mortgages or rent to worry about, it's a huge amount of money to pay for a one day party. 

Those statistics are fudged. They are a bit of marketing. The same as the idea that it's 'traditional' to spend one, or even three months salary on an engagement ring. That's not traditional, that's what one company selling engagement rings once put in an ad.

It's easy to come by these 'statistics' you find in wedding magazines. You see, nobody knows or cares about my 2000-3000 euro wedding. Nobody asked me what my dress cost, let alone who designed it. Nobody called the restaurant and asked how much we were paying. Nobody asked my hairdresser what she charged for my up-do.

No, these statistics come from people who - professionally - manage the budget for the entire wedding. And lots of other weddings. They come from wedding planners.

Now wouldn't you say it is fair to assume that on average, people who can afford to hire a wedding planner, have more lavish and expensive weddings than people who do their own planning? 

And there you have it. Fudged statistics. What the average wedding planner spends on a wedding is not the same as what the average couple spends on a wedding. 

• Jerry

Excellent. I'd give this response multiple thumbs up votes if I could.

According to this and other articles (i Googled)

£32k is the average spent on a wedding in 2019

https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-planning/organis...

• Jerry

Never trust information derived from Wedding Industry sponsored sources. I don't mean there's a single sponsor called "Wedding Industry." I mean a source that accepts paid advertising from clothiers, jewelers, from any providers of wedding related goods/services.

The average wedding (according to the link) costs around £30K. If that is the average, goodness knows how much an expensive one would cost. £20K is below this, however, to me, it is still a lot of money to spend on one day. I personally would prefer to spend a lot less than that and use the rest for something for the future.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/love-sex/...

• Suzy Q

Consider the source: that's not an article, that's a press release.

(Not my td though.)