Can you get arrested for simply having a minor argument with a off-duty sheriff?

So while at work, there was a guy and an off-duty sheriff, who's a regular at our restaurant. They got into a minor argument, like who was in line first, not that big a deal. Next thing you know, he tells the guy he's a sheriff, and goes out to his truck to get his badge. He then proceeds to put the... show more So while at work, there was a guy and an off-duty sheriff, who's a regular at our restaurant. They got into a minor argument, like who was in line first, not that big a deal. Next thing you know, he tells the guy he's a sheriff, and goes out to his truck to get his badge. He then proceeds to put the guy's hands behind his back and walks him out the restaurant towards his truck. I work the lobby area with a couple other people and their argument wasn't loud enough for us to hear, we just happened to see him walk him out. We are watching from the inside, confused as to why he's getting arrested. The sheriff proceeds to go through his pockets and it just looks like they're still arguing. We got back to work & next thing u know, he's on the ground, his beanie is off and his shoes. I check on them later and now he's in a sitting position and the sheriff called some people to come get him. Two sheriff cars pull up and they take him. Was this necessary? I was scared to ask questions bc I didn't want to get involved and get arrested too. I was seriously thinking that bc I didn't, and the rest of the people I was working with, see any reason for that guy to get arrested.