What are the most practical options I can take to have a more successful career?

Background: I m 30, I went to a 4 year university for 3 years. But went for the wrong reasons, barely passed classes, got in trouble with the law, moved to California to get away from bad habits in 2013. Got a job as a sheet metal fabricator and worked in a shop for 4 years. Made a bad decision and lied about... show more Background: I m 30, I went to a 4 year university for 3 years. But went for the wrong reasons, barely passed classes, got in trouble with the law, moved to California to get away from bad habits in 2013. Got a job as a sheet metal fabricator and worked in a shop for 4 years. Made a bad decision and lied about something and lost my job. 2 years ago started working for a better company, large industrial metal Fabrication mainly as a sandblaster, but also do sanding, and chemical washing of parts prior to paint. I make 45000 a year and have great benefits. But with car payment and other Bill s, I rent a room from someone and would struggle too much having my own apartment. (San Diego is outrageous) My issue is I want a family and to own a home so I need to advance. I m practically stuck where I m at in my company. My question is, what would be my best option. Go to community college for welding, or maybe electrician work, something like that? Start completely over in a 4 yr university maybe even online for some kind of engineering degree ? Or just get another brainless job somewhere ? I feel so stuck and it scares me. I know what I want in life but dont know how I can get it in my current situation. I m 30, I need to act fast. I need to set small goals to achieve my big goals but really I dont even know where to start. I lose sleep stressing on being 40 renting a room from someone and still sandblasting! And if I don t act now, that will be my reality. What would you do?