Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

I can't eat if the person I'm with isn't eating?

Just so we're clear, I am slim, and I am not a gluttonous pig. I am in pretty alright shape. But I have a few very skinny friends and it is a nightmare hanging out with them when food is involved.

I was always taught that it is very rude to start eating or to finish my meal before the other person. I also feel like a fat pig, and very disgusted/insecure with myself when I do. So I try to time myself with the other person. This TORTUROUS when I'm eating with a super skinny person.

By the end of the day, after hanging out with my skinny friend all day, we have not eaten (maybe an iced coffee or something for breakfast or lunch) I feel very hungry, and I am very excited when I finally hear my friend say "lets get food". But it takes them ages (at least an hour) to actually start eating, and when they do, they literally sit there with the food on their fork for 30+ seconds before they put it in their mouth after each freaking bite, then, because they eat so slowly, they don't even finish half of their meal, therefore I can't finish mine either. It is a nightmare having to time myself with them, and I end up becoming very angry with them even though it is my problem, not theirs.

It infuriates me, and I'm not sure how to deal with it. For this reason, as much as I love my skinnier friends, this bothers me so much that I prefer to hang out with more voluptuous people/people with bigger appetites.

How do I get over this weird issue?

• keerok

You're friends. Just eat. When you're done, eat some more. Never mind if they're slow. Offer to help them finish their meal even.

• Mike

You are either European or have an eating disorder. Europeans tend to be quite frail and look to be in need of a good meal. See the Dr about an eating disorder, they have meds that will help. Also a brief talk to a counselor may help change your views about food and help you to eat normally