Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 10 months ago

Serious Question about birth control.?

Okay, so I’ve attempted to do my research and I would ask my doctor about this, but i have really bad anxiety and it’s keeping me up right now honestly. I’m planning on being sexually active with my boyfriend, with the only contraceptive being used is birth control. Let’s say I get my pack of pills and I take them perfectly, every day at the same time window. Let’s say the weeks pass and I run out of my pills. If I don’t restock, will I still get pregnant? (No more unprotected sex after I run out of pills) I haven’t seen any research answering this question and my anxiety needs to know.

Once you stop taking birth control, or any other medication, the effectiveness is completely gone. Why do you think taking birth control for one month will keep you from getting pregnant forever?

My understanding of this is that you wouldn’t be having sex without a condom after your birth control pills run out. Your chances of pregnancy would be low using a condom.

• Edna

Well, yeah. If you stop taking your birth control pills and have unprotected sex, then of course you can get pregnant. How quickly after you stop taking pills you're going to get pregnant is impossible to guess. For some women, it's almost immediate. For other women, it might take up to 6 months to a year.

The birth control pill protects you against pregnancy, but first you have to TAKE it every day. Don't ever let your supply of pills "run out". Refill your prescription BEFORE you run out.

• Nathan

Well, you can get pregnant on the pill regardless as it doesn't work all of the time. Condoms should be used in every sexual encounter or you can get an STD. f you use a condom then there is a very small chance you'll get pregnant

• Pippin

If you are this anxious, you are not ready for sex. No method is 100% effective, no matter HOW perfectly you use it.

And yes, he needs to also be using a condom.

• LizB

If you stop taking the artificial hormones, then your natural cycle will resume and you will run the risk of pregnancy. If you miss a few weeks if your medication or you switch brands/types/methods, you should use secondary methods of contraceptive OR abstain. But since you and your bf are clearly not in a long-term committed relationship, he should be taking responsibility for himself and using condoms, as well, regardless of what form of BC you are using. If he cares about your health, he'd do it without needing to be asked.

You need to start taking the pill SEVEN DAYS before you plan to have sex - OR - you need to make sure that you take the first pill ON the FIRST DAY of your period if you don't want to wait for the seven days.

If you start on the first day of your period, the pill is effective IMMEDIATELY.  If you start the pill on any other day of your cycle,  you need to take the pill for SEVEN DAYS before it is safe.

As for stopping the pill, as long as you stop having sex when you stop taking the pill, you will be fine.  The last week of the pill is a placebo week and you would have a withdrawal bleed during that last week.  As long as you DO NOT have more sex after that withdrawal bleed, you would not get pregnant.

Sperm can live inside you for five days.

So make sure you have enough for five days after sex.

I am not 100% sure what you are asking, assuming they are estrogen and progesterone pills (most common type) instead of just progesterone, you will not get pregnant if you have sex while you are on the pill and then stop once your pills run out. Remember you are not protected against pregnancy until you've been taking your pills for a week (again, assuming you're taking the estrogen/progesterone pill)

Source(s): I take birth control