My 401K company locked me out of my own account and won't let me access?

I work at Mcdonald's and I have a lot of money in my 401K, about $100,000 and I've been locked out from my own account for no reason. They won't let me access it. They keep saying they'll send me an alternate password through postal mail, but they are not sending it. It's been months, they said this is the only method but they're are not sending it. I asked them if they expect me to do this year around or for the rest of my life. They don't give me any alternatives so do I call 911 or can I sue them? What are my options besides waiting on them because they are useless.

I'm not a troll, I think I'm going to go to an attorney and have to open a lawsuit against them.

• B

notices are routinely sent, troll.

Don't call 911. They don't deal in 401(k)'s. Consulting an attorney is probably a waste of your money and time for something you can handle with a phone calls and correspondence. You don't need an attorney for either one. Call the McDonalds Corp and ask to speak to an HR representative. Explain the problem calmly. Always stay calm when speaking to anyone in corporation because they are recording the conversation. Write down the time, date and the name of the person(s) you speak with. If your not getting the answers you want, always ask to speak to a supervisor. Keep good notes of the conversations and ask for a case number. If this does not resolved the situation, then considered writing the CEO of McDonalds. Your letter will be handled by one of their assistants. Then once a week keep sending a letter to the CEO addressing the issue until the issue is resolved. But most importantly, keep good notes. And be assertive and persistent, not aggressive and irrational. Good luck.

• ron h

You can give an attorney money to write to them and get instructions on getting a password reset.  OR you can call them and ask them what to do to get your password.  Can you do something to be sure they've got your current mailing address?  Does anyone at your house go through your mail and throw away the "junk mail"  for you?  If you call 911, be sure someone is at your house to lock the door after the police take you to jail. 

Your update DESTROYED what little credibility you had. If you are GOING TO go to an attorney, you DO NOT have an open lawsuit, because YOU already proved you have no idea how to file a lawsuit.

I know for a FACT you haven't been ALIVE long enough to put $100,000 into a 401(k) on McDonald's pay without knowing there is NOTHING 911 can do about a 401(k), unless you count filing a criminal complaint against YOU for abuse of the system.

Call 911 and you'll get the same treatment the people got who have called 911 to report their McDonald's coffee was too hot. You could end up being arrested.

You can talk to a lawyer about this. You can also find out what department of your state government regulates retirement accounts and file a complaint.

Do not call 911.

Call the U.S. Department of Labor

200 Constitution Ave NW

Washington, DC 20210

1-866-4-USA-DOL

1-866-487-2365

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/retirement/erisa

• A Hunch

DO NOT CALL THE DEPT OF LABOR!! Geez... he hasn't even told his employer yet.

• D J

I suggest you consult an attorney!

• Judy

If this has been going on for months, you should have gotten at least one hard copy quarterly statement in the mail. Did you? And you should get another one next month. They aren't required to give you online access although many do. Are you talking to someone at McDonalds or at the 401K custodian? You need to talk to the custodian - their contact info will be on your statement. If you have a question like your balance or fund allocation, the custodian should be able to give you the info on the phone. When you talk to them confirm that the address they have for you is correct. And NO you don't call 911, and have no grounds to sue them.

you could try suing them

• ron h

Pearl copies the words in the question, , but never has an answer. 

• Pretty sure this is a troll, but you don't call 911 unless it's an emergency. That is, someone's life or property is in danger, or a crime is being committed. In the meantime, talk to an attorney.