hwijin asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 months ago

what is mindset of people who breaks appointment without notice?

i work in small healthcare clinic. when people make appointment and just doesn't show up, it's revenue loss and also it means other patient couldn't have come since patient (who broke appointment) was taking that time slot. We call 1-2 days ahead to confirm. we understand things happens. But I'm not talking about people who calls us to cancel or reschedule. I'm talking about people who, (sometimes, even after he/she confirmed appointment 1-2 days ago), just doesn't show up and when front staff try to contact, no answer, no reply, as if the person just vanished. And if that person comes back to us later and if we ask what happened, he/she sometimes get defensive and the tone gets rather unpleasant.

I'm not trying to get solution. I am just so boggled by this and want to know what is their thought process. Plz don't get offended. for those of people who breaks appointment often, what is the reason? are you normally like that with all appointments with your friends? like, you set an lunch time with your friend at a restaurant next wk but just don't show up without any notice if somethings comes up or you don't feel like going? Or, do you feel that clinics make lots of money and one people not showing up won't make much difference? or you simply don't care if the clinic goes bankrupt since there are many other clinic you can go to? you simply don't care if other people can't come because you were taking that slot? Plz, I will thank you if you can provide some honest answer.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Create a noshow up fee if appointment not canceled in time, problem solved

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If someone has a reason for not being able to keep an appointment and only knows that they cannot attend at the very last minute then they should have the decency to phone the next day or a.s.a.p. and explain their non-attendance. Our dentist takes people off their list if they just don't show up. If something major has happened in that family it is understandable that they might not immediately be able to contact the person with whom they had an appointment but they should do so as soon as possible. It will be their own fault if they are permanently removed from the doctor or dentists list if they just don't turn up or explain the reason.

• 2 months ago

Ghosted? You must not be providing good service at your clinic. Otherwise people would not do that to you. I can tell you from personal experience the doctors who treated me kindly and with compassion and competence would always get a phone call if I had to reschedule or cancel appointment. But the many doctors and health providers that I’ve had over the years who’ve been incredibly rude, arrogant, mean-spirited and downright incompetent...I’m not exactly going to go out of my way to accommodate them. I could tell you horror stories I’ve experienced with doctors, nurses, etc. that would curl your toes. Believe me. As ye sowe, so shall ye reap. Healthcare on a certain level is a business just like any other business and if you don’t treat your customers well, they’re going to go somewhere else eventually. And never look back. We don’t appreciate being treated with contempt and receiving incompetent treatment since our health and our LIVES are at stake. Doesn’t that make sense to you?

• atomic fireball
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

comment is like all your other comments I’ve read ‘pimpin’. Asinine and nonsensical.

• 2 months ago

I have to admit that once I simply forgot a doctor's appointment and only remembered an hour later, after which I immediately called to apologize and reschedule.

My physio has a fee for late cancellations, and I don't think it's a bad idea. Then it's up to you whether you want to let someone off the hook, all depending.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Vicki
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

At least in my experience. I have one of two things happen.

1. I have really bad luck. Things come up, they really do very often. Most times, literally on my way to the appointment - car breaks, friend has an emergency, parent/guardian/family member needs you for something important. In those moments honestly the appointment gets shoved to the back of my mind and I do the important thing. Priorities.

2. I have severe social anxiety. Some days I wake up and even just working is a struggle and a half. Going to the appointment feels impossible... And so I stay home and hide in my room.

In both cases, I wind up feeling extremely guilty. That's why at least I don't wind up calling back right away. It can take several days for the guilt to ease, subside, and for me to be able to give the office a call...

• 2 months ago

in excusable and rude

• 2 months ago

Some people are disorganized and forget they have an appointment (despite the reminders). Some are embarrassed at forgetting or waking up too late or whatever, so they don't want to call and be made to feel bad by the doctor's office. Some people are just rude or resentful at paying doctor's high fees or having to wait a long time in his office and so they don't bother to call. It might be helpful for the scheduler to say, "If for some reason you can't keep this appointment, please call to let us know or to make a new appointment."

• Pippin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Every medical office I've ever dealt with has an automatic policy of billing the patient if he's a no-show.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i would tell them they cant come there anymore if they cant keep their appts

• 💜
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Have a “no show” or late cancellation policy in effect. Charge $50 or $100 for missed or last minute canceling. That’s incentive to be more mindful .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.