What is mindset of people who breaks appointment without notice?

i work in small healthcare clinic. when people make appointment and just doesn't show up, it's revenue loss and also it means other patient couldn't have come since patient (who broke appointment) was taking that time slot. We call 1-2 days ahead to confirm. we understand things happens. But I'm not... show more i work in small healthcare clinic. when people make appointment and just doesn't show up, it's revenue loss and also it means other patient couldn't have come since patient (who broke appointment) was taking that time slot. We call 1-2 days ahead to confirm. we understand things happens. But I'm not talking about people who calls us to cancel or reschedule. I'm talking about people who, (sometimes, even after he/she confirmed appointment 1-2 days ago), just doesn't show up and when front staff try to contact, no answer, no reply, as if the person just vanished. And if that person comes back to us later and if we ask what happened, he/she sometimes get defensive and the tone gets rather unpleasant.

I'm not trying to get solution. I am just so boggled by this and want to know what is their thought process. Plz don't get offended. for those of people who breaks appointment often, what is the reason? are you normally like that with all appointments with your friends? like, you set an lunch time with your friend at a restaurant next wk but just don't show up without any notice if somethings comes up or you don't feel like going? Or, do you feel that clinics make lots of money and one people not showing up won't make much difference? or you simply don't care if the clinic goes bankrupt since there are many other clinic you can go to? you simply don't care if other people can't come because you were taking that slot? Plz, I will thank you if you can provide some honest answer.