How can I use a second hard disk in my desktop(read details)?

So basicly, I want to use two Operacional systems in my desktop(one into a hard disk, and other one in a different hard disk), I just need to connect the new HD in the mother board and in the power supply? Is it enough?

Note: Both Operational Systems are already installed in the HDs...

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

You can install many OS's on one drive or multiple drives. The key is the boot manager that lists the OS's so that you can select which OS you wish to boot into. While Windows does have a boot manager, I have always preferred to use the Linux Grub for systems with multiple OS's, even if they are all Windows, I still use Linux Grub because I find it easier to configure.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can have multiple Operating Systems (OS) in a single computer. I successfully installed 6 different OS's using 3 hard disks to a Pentium 2 a decade back.

Only 1 OS will boot at a time. A boot manager will allow you to choose which OS to boot when you turn on the computer. If you want to run more OS at the same time, you will have to use virtualization - booting a second OS as guest. It will all depend on the resources of your PC (RAM and processor power).

Installing multiple OS's in a computer is tricky. Usually, you install Windows first. If you are installing multiple Windows versions, start with the older one. There are lots of pages in the internet to guide you on how to go about this properly.

Not just because an OS is already in the hard doesn't mean it can boot. Windows in particular has to be installed directly from the computer you will use it with. Installing it to a hard disk on one computer then transferring the hard disk to another won't work straightforward. There are workarounds but they are not for the faint of heart.

• Dick
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's not an issue. The only technical aspects of it is that the 2nd hard drive must be connected to the 2nd SATA drive port. If you primary hard drive is connected to SATA 0 then the 2nd HDD will be connected to SATA 1. If your SATA ports are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 then you'll connect the 2nd HDD to SATA 2. If you want the 2nd HDD to be the "boot up" drive then you'll have to change the boot up order in the BIOS. Other than those things, 2 HDD's is no issue at all.

• Bill
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

yes , you can

connect the second hard drive in and install the new OS on the second hard drive

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bill
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, it should be enough.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.