Why is the USA the only country that has the death penalty?

I make no excuses for the UK having used the death penalty until 1964. This isn’t really a USA vs. UK issue. It’s more a USA vs. most of the rest of the world issue. And the age of a country doesn’t seem to have that much to do with whether or not they have abolished the death penalty. New Zealand, Canada, and... show more I make no excuses for the UK having used the death penalty until 1964. This isn’t really a USA vs. UK issue. It’s more a USA vs. most of the rest of the world issue. And the age of a country doesn’t seem to have that much to do with whether or not they have abolished the death penalty. New Zealand, Canada, and Australia are all much younger countries than the USA, but carried out their last executions in 1957, 1962, and 1967, respectively. The former Spanish and Portuguese colonies from Mexico down to Chile achieved independence in the 19th century, but mostly abolished the death penalty between the 1830s and 1980s. In fact, the USA is the only country on the American continent that carries out executions (Cuba and some small former British colonies are the only other countries in the region that retain the death penalty even notionally). A number of African countries which did not become independent until the 1960s or 1970s, and which are considerably less developed than the USA, have abolished the death penalty. All of the former eastern bloc countries in Europe, except Belarus, abolished the death penalty in the 1980s or 1990s. So, the fact that England was still hanging, drawing, and quartering people in the 19th century doesn’t seem to have much bearing upon the fact that the USA is still executing people in 2019. And I’d say exactly the same about a country such as Japan.
18 answers 18