What is the meaning of the "Dapper Hotel Clerk" in dreams?

A recurring character in my dreams is "the dapper hotel clerk." He is a slender man of about 35 with dark hair and a thin, oily mustache. His purpose (if it can be called that) is to narrate various indignities with a smile. For instance, the dapper hotel clerk will welcome "me" into a hotel... show more A recurring character in my dreams is "the dapper hotel clerk." He is a slender man of about 35 with dark hair and a thin, oily mustache. His purpose (if it can be called that) is to narrate various indignities with a smile. For instance, the dapper hotel clerk will welcome "me" into a hotel half-submerged with seawater, then offer a "bargain rate" for an "economical underwater suite." What's strange is that I had never imagined or dreamed of that dapper hotel clerk until a friend of mine related a dream regarding the sniggering nastiness of the Clerk. Later, though, several friends of mine admitted that they had also dreamed of the trim, officious dapper hotel clerk after hearing about the original dream. The most frightening dreams are the ones in which the dapper hotel clerk, in his trim and crummy uniform, is simply *implied* as the friendly facilitator of catastrophes involving a flood of vermin or certain humiliations related to the inability to secure hotel reservations following a nuclear war.
2 answers 2