What do you do when hard work does not pay off?

What do you do when you have dreams and they don't happen: no matter what you do? Its not like I sat around expecting things to happen. I went to school got a bachelor's in art and even went back to school for a degree in computer programming (with straight A's). I am having trouble getting a full time... show more What do you do when you have dreams and they don't happen: no matter what you do? Its not like I sat around expecting things to happen. I went to school got a bachelor's in art and even went back to school for a degree in computer programming (with straight A's). I am having trouble getting a full time job that pays decent. I do have a great resume and a go get it personality.
I keep trying to get what I want but life keeps throwing **** at me. I keep getting the bad end of the stick. I know, I know that's how life works. BUT, Should you keep trying and continue failing? What keeps you motivated? Maybe lower your expectations? I know some people get what they want without even trying. Or it just goes smoothly for them. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.