Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

If a 12 year old boy is drawing images of himself hanged by the neck, is that a cause for worry? What would you do, as a parent, if anything?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Best Answer

Any time a child of this age engages in behavior like this, something's wrong. You need to find out what's behind this, and do it quickly. It sounds to me like the boy is experiencing symptoms of depression, and if so, he needs HELP, and right away. Untreated clinical depression is the leading cause of suicide in both kids and adults, and people who experience depression have a 3 to 5 fold increase in their risk levels. Unless you want to come home one day and find your son unresponsive, or worse, get a phone call at work telling you that your son is in the ICU following a suicide attempt, then you need to take this SERIOUSLY and get him some help.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Things kids do should always be evaluated by their parents. Ask him why he's drawing these pictures like that "Why are you hanging yourself in these pictures? I don't like seeing you that way."

He's either going to say he doesn't know or something scary or he might try to avoid the subject. It may be nothing, but it may also be a silent way of him reaching out for help because he's depressed.

• 2 months ago

It's actually his dad. He has anger issues with his dad. I would have a police officer talk to the father.

• Nathan
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

I would be extremely worried - he may be suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts. I tried to kill myself at the age of 8, so you can't be too young to struggle with mental health. I suggest talking to a doctor who can refer him for counselling, in the meantime hide anything that can cause harm (i.e. Blades, medicine, ropes etc) because you do not want to come home to a dead child

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You should look out for signs of depression or suicidal thoughts and get him some professional help.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

take him to a psychiatrist, there might be a reason why hes drawing stuff like that

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, its a reason for a parent or guardian to be concerned about. The child should be monitored by hsi parents and referred to a therapist if this is an everyday occurrence. It is a possible indication that this child has some trauma and/or possible psychiatric ailments (depression, suicide ideation, psychosis are just a few possible issues that could be at play here). A dialogue should definitely be started here to intervene and prevent any possible harm to your child (or others).

• 2 months ago

Talk with his teachers; is there a problem at school, perhaps? You might need to ask them about getting him some counselling. Make very sure that you love and value him no matter what.

• 2 months ago

I would TALK to him!   Hopefully we'd have a good enough relationship that he could tell me what he's feeling--this is often a problem with kids that age.  (I sure couldn't have had this conversation with MY parents!)

I'd explain, frankly, that I found these pics worrying, and suggest that if a teacher or administrator at school saw them they might think he was a real whacko.  I'd want to hear his reasoning behind drawing them.  He may need some kind of help.  He may have issues I wasn't even aware of, and I'd WANT to know about them and help him with them if I could.

• Brian
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Here's what I'd do. I'd ask the morons on Y!A.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.