Do spouses of student loan holders have to repay their spouses loans ?

No. It's a scam.

No.  If, however, your spouse defaults on his student loans, and the U.S.Department of Education decides to obtain any Federal tax refunds coming his way, your portion of that refund would be taken as well... So, if your spouse is in default, either file a "married filing separately" return, or ask your tax preparer (or the IRS) about an "injured spouse" form.

• nancy

In general, no, but there are exceptions. For example, if you consolidate your own loans with your spouse's, you may be required to repay the entire loan even if you later separate or divorce. You may also be required to repay a private student loan if you co-signed for it and your spouse defaults. If your spouse pays off your loans during the course of your marriage and you later divorce, then a court could order you to repay your former spouse, or otherwise take the value of loans that were paid into consideration when determining how assets are divided. But if the loans are solely in your spouse's name, then the spouse is solely responsible for paying them. In the event that your spouse dies, federal student loans can be discharged. Many private loans also have this feature, but not all --in some cases, the loan is only discharged if the person died without an estate.

• Laurie

Not unless they cosign.

That depends on your state. The law varies a lot from state to state.

• John10 months agoReport

States have ZERO jurisdiction over Federal student loans, hence the name "Federal" student loans..  Federal loans do not have co-signers, period.  

i wouldnt think so

• drip

I think yes, maybe, possibly. If I had a car loan. In my name only before I married, got married, then died before the loan was paid off, my spouse would now be responsible to pay my car loan. My loans and debts are my spouses responsibility after I die.

If your spouse stops paying their government student loans, the government can garnish their wages. But I don’t believe they could garnish your wages.

Sounds like a question for a lawyer, Or try asking a research librarian to point you in the right direction for researching this.

Next of kin is not responsible for student loan debt.