Just started doing weights. I’m so weak :(?

I’m a 31 year old male. I have rarely been to the gym ever. Not really done weights before. I used to do alot of football so i was once a upon a time relatively fit. But muscular? No. I have got out of shape in these last few years and thought i would start heading to the gym. I have a friend who goes alot and he... show more I’m a 31 year old male. I have rarely been to the gym ever. Not really done weights before. I used to do alot of football so i was once a upon a time relatively fit. But muscular? No. I have got out of shape in these last few years and thought i would start heading to the gym. I have a friend who goes alot and he is helping me. He does know i’m a noob and weak so he is taking that into consideration.

But the problem i have is i am so god damn weak. I have to use such low weights it’s embarrassing. After a few sets of training arms for example, i can hardly lift anything else. Like it doesn’t matter how heavy the dumbell is i struggle to just lift my arm up with no dumbell!

Is this normal for someone who has never used weights before? Shall i just keep at it and my body will get used to it?

Thanks.