is there anything i can do to make my laptop run faster again?

or is it just due to old age?

i have a toshiba laptop p875-s7310 17" model. i got it holiday 2012. so it's seven years old.

it still runs fine. but even when i try to open simple apps like chrome, excel, word, sometimes it can take a couple minutes to open, or even rarer freeze then crash and reboot.

do i run disk cleanup? or some other tool?

other programs i have are iTunes, origin and some games like sims and roller coaster tycoon, steam and GOG galaxy. but i don't do heavy gaming on my laptop as I have a console.

but what can i do to make it seem run fast again? or is the programs themselves that need cleaning up in some way.

i do have virus protection McAfee and never had any such virus.

• Fulano
    Favorite Answer

Hardware doesn't really get slower with age, what usually is the problem is it's either overheating or something running on it is slowing things down.

I would start with Task Manager, click "More Details" and look at the performance Is your RAM usage nearing the max? Is the CPU usage higher than like 10%? Is the disk usage high?

If the RAM is maxed, you've either got programs using up too much RAM, or not enough RAM to run what you need. It's good to have at least 8 GB of RAM these days. You can sort the running programs by RAM usage in the Processes tab.

If the CPU or Disk usage is high, then a program is using up the computer's resources and slowing everything else down. Again, look in the processes tab for a guilty program.

Usually from there you can just Google a fix.

• Fulano

When the RAM maxes out, the system starts using Virtual Memory, which means it is treating the hard drive as temporary RAM. It really kills system performance when I a computer has to use the hard drive. An SSD upgrade can help a lot too.

It sounds to me your drive could do with a good defragmentation. If you don't mind opening up the laptop, or reinstalling windows. I'd get a decently sized SSD. Trust me, it'll do wonders to your system. If you get replace the DVD drive on the system with a hard drive adapter, you can repurpose that hard drive for your games, or other data.

• Dave

Back up all your data to a cloud or external hard drive. If windows 10, do a refresh, wiping everything. Then reinstall all software that you need. Do this at least once every 6 months to a year.

• keerok

Reformat then reinstall everything from clean installers.

• Dze

throw a fresh drive in it and a clean install of windows .. blow the dust out good with compressed air and it will be a new animal ...