Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 4 months ago

How to convert college GPA quarter system transcript to semester system GPA?

I'm transferring to another university that uses the semester system while my current university uses the quarter system. I have to calculate my semester GPA from my current university and was told to simply convert quarter units/credits/hours to semester by dividing quarter units by 1.5 and then from there find the total grade points and divide by total attempted units/credits/etc.

I did the calculations and my semester equivalent GPA for my quarter-system university GPA was basically the same thing. Wasn't I supposed to get a slightly different GPA since I'm changing the value of the quarter units/credits? If converting from quarter to semester GPAs doesn't change the GPA, I don't see why I have to go through the hassle of doing this.

• John

Your GPA could be exactly the same under each system. In any event, it should be very close.

What would change are the number of credits you have. For example, if you took 5 3 credit courses on the quarter basis, at the end of Year 1 you would have 45 credits. If you took 5 3 credit courses on the semester basis, at the end of Year 1 you would have 30 credits. 45 divided by 1.5 = 30.