Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 2 months ago

Can autism be passed through genes/offspring?

I do have High Functioning Autism, and according to a video I watched and something I read, it said genetics do have something to do with the causes of autism.

I always thought a father with autism is more likely to have a son with autism than a father WITHOUT autism (nerotypical).

I was thinking about getting vasectomized because I didn't wanna pass my autism on to any off spring I had.

However, a few people told me an autistic father is no more likely to have a kid with autism than a father WITHOUT autism.

So can autism be passed through off spring?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Nathan
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

The cause of autism is faulty genes, the same gene that causes 'Fragile X' plays a role in the development of autism. It can be passed on, but only if both parents are carriers, so I suggest waiting until you know whether or not your partner (if you have one) carries the gene. It is your choice, but you may want to wait to see what your partner's genes are

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

while fragile x is associated with autism, not all autism is related to fargile x...

and no autism does not have to be passed from both parents and no fragile X does not come from both...in males, they only get an x from the mother...father gives a y

• 2 months ago

There is a hereditary factor involved, they just don't know for sure you. I just read a story about the children of a specific sperm donor, MANY had autism.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/the-children...

• M.P.
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Simple genetics & info available since the 80's, do the research, it's all online: An older mother is more likely to produce a Down Syndrome child due to nondisjunction, an older father is more likely to produce a child with autism. The odds increase if you have a family member with those disorders. If you want to have a normal kid, don't wait too long (and breed with someone healthy and strong, their pure genetics might override your deficient ones).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.