Can an apartment manager come into an apartment and do things other than what was stated in the notice for entry?

Everyone recieved notices that they would need to come into out apartments to test for led in the paint. I was out of the house when I came home i found my manager taking photos in my refrigerator. This is not the time for inspections I had already had my inspection for the year. Can she do this?

In the US, yes she can in most jurisdictions. Especially if it was dirty and or smelled bad. They have the right to look in & see what the problem is. They have no right to go through your personal property but that typically is about it as far as limitations hen a landlord enters with proper & legal notice.

I am not saying it is morally right or that you don't have a right to be upset but that has nothing to do with if it is legal or not.

• Bort

No they cannot. They cannot open cabinets or doors including the fridge or any drawers that is an illegal invasion of your privacy if they do. Testing for lead paint does not require being nosy and going through your things.

I would, too, be very upset about them opening drawers, doors, and the fridge and taking photos but unless they attempt causing trouble with it I wouldn't cause trouble with them.

They can inspect at any time, as often as they want, as long as they give 24 hours notice and get permission to enter. You don't have to give them permission if they're being unreasonable with the time they want to do it, how often they want to enter, the reason(s) they want to "inspect", etc. They cannot invade your privacy.

If you're not doing anything wrong (not having a perfectly clean fridge is NOT a crime or anything wrong)...I also suggest not making a stink about it unless they're being unreasonable, an annoyance or inconveniencing you.

• R P

WRONG!!! The landlord CAN open kitchen & bathroom cabinet doors & drawers as well as the refrigerator because those items belong to the landlord, not the tenant. The landlord cannot open drawers or cabinet doors on furniture that the tenant owns (i.e. dressers)

• Erik

Yes, the notice is just to enter your apartment.

Yes. She can inspect at the same time. But - the fridge? Talk about obsessive! Did you ask what she was looking for? I would have been inclined to.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

First, as usual, there's a lot of guessing going on here. If you're in the US, there's only thing that matters, and that is the wording on your lease. If this is a large complex, they're usually pretty aware of how to write a lease and what things to put in it. Someone mentioned local laws, and I seriously doubt there's any city in the country that would mess with this stuff. It's between you and the landlord.

With that said, I totally get why you feel this was out of line. If talking to the property manager doesn't help, kick it higher up by letting the management company or even the owner of the property know that this happened.

Likely legal, if it was only the outside, or smelled which gave an indication of a problem.

was it fifthly? if you kept it reasonably clean what are you worried about?

if they did an in depth inspection without cause, legality would vary based on local law.

Yes they can. They need to give notice to enter, that is all.

• how is it that she can come in a break trust by doing more than what was stated. if the roles were reversed I would probably be arrested if went into her home with the expectation to do one thing and did another. 

• R P

Yes, she can. The only thing she cannot do once inside is look thru your dresser drawers or the drawers on any of your furniture.

• R P

You don't own the apartment. You pay for the privilege to live in someone else's property. As others have already stated, if the apartment you rent is dirty or stinky, the landlord is going to check out the unit & try to determine the cause of the smell.