Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 3 months ago

Polar bear vs Grizzly bear?

These two majestic beasts are meeting each other more often due to warmer climate and expansion of grizzly bear. Which of these bears will be on top of the food chain?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

The polar bear. Grizzlies certainly will eat meat and fish when convenient, but they are mostly herbivorous. Polar bears live almost entirely on meat and fish, since plant life is not abundant most of the time where they live.

Also, polar bears are bigger and stronger than grizzlies. But they don't prey on one another. Sometimes they even mate and produce hybrid offspring.

• 3 months ago

They each have their own foraging grounds and different.

Polar bear has to compete with poachers of seal and for their growing numbers, many starve. A lot of human encroachment to habitat is keeping grizzly north of the US.

If they ever do cross paths, neither want a confrontation, but the heavy fur of the polar bear offers protection from the heavier grizzly.

The notion they are interbreeding is far too rare event to say that will happen.

• English Guy
      Lv 6
      3 months agoReport

Canadian arctic. Just because it is rare, it doesn't make it not worth mentioning but thanks for the TD all the same.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

They are not competitors. Grizzlies eat a lot of plant material and they live near forests. Polar bears feed almost exclusively on meat, and they live in icy areas near the sea.

• 3 months ago

Are you talking about who wins. The polar bear would

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ray
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

Polar bears climate is shrinking, while grizzly climate is pushing north thus expanding, so due to habitat the Grizzly is better adapted to come out on top.

If they meet and have a fight, most times the polar bears comes out on top, it is bigger and stronger. This happened when the flat faced bear met brown bears, but with time the flat faced bears grasslands disappeared so it died out, while grizzly habitat expanded. The same thing is occurring with one major difference; brown bears and polar bears are very closely related, thus they are mixing.

When brown bears tried to cross to north America from Eurasia in ancient times, they always ran into the road block of flat faced bears, but some brown bears were able to adapt to the arctic, these were the first polar bears. Flat faced bears did not live in the north pole.

• Ray
      Lv 6
      3 months agoReport

Polar bears get a lot heavier then grizzly's, they are also taller and longer.

• Blearg
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

They've already begun to hybridize. I expect the hybrids with the most ideal combinations of genes from both lineages are likely to be the most effective at surviving, rather than purely polar or purely grizzly bears.

• daniel g
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

I read that, but really question the validity. too rare to say it happens.

• 3 months ago

Grizzly wins. As the climate warms, the grizzly is pushing to the north and the polar bears are retreating. Part of it is the grizz has a more varied diet so can survive better.

• daniel g
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

climate hasn't changed, mans encroachment on habitat is responsible.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

I think it's pretty much a tie but if I had to pick one, I guess it'd be polar bears. They are bigger and are usually more aggressive because they rely more on meat to survive so I think they would have the upper hand.

• daniel g
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Bigger for their fur, grizzly far outweigh polar bear

• 3 months ago

polar bear assuming it is well fed, those things are huge

• 3 months ago

FALSE. Black bear.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.