Can you get sick from eating old chochlete?

It expired on march 2019, and I didnt realize untill I was home.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Expiration date is more of a legal guideline and a freshness thing, march of this year isn't too bad though it may taste a bit stale. Now, if it was last year and cheap chocolate, or two years and cheap chocolate, just throw it out.

• 2 months ago

The purpose of an expiration date is so that a product can be consumed while it is at it's peak in flavor and nutritional value. Most foods can be consumed well after the "expiration" or "use by" date. As non perishable food ages, it can loose some flavor, it's nutrition value and appearance.

I have had baker's chocolate in my cabinet for two years. It developed a chalky finish, but it still has great flavor and is not rancid, so I used it, without any consequences.

You will not get sick from eating chocolate. However, if you ate a bunch of chocolate on an empty stomach, you could very well feel a little nauseous from all that sugar in the pit of your empty stomach.

• 2 months ago

No. Many things are good past their expiration or best by date. They may lose their potency but are still fine to eat. Chocolate will just discolor a bit, just like when you refrigerate it.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You will be fine, stop worrying.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Murzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

no problem eating it

• Athena
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Legally or did you mean to ask this over in Health ?

• 2 months ago

You should be OK. Most labels are "Best used by." If you haven't had the Hershey squirts by now, you're good to go.

• 2 months ago

what is chochlete?

• Eva
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

It didn't expire. That's a "best by" date. Food doesn't just automatically go bad on that date. As long as it was kept at the proper temperature and in a clean environment, it's fine.

• 2 months ago

Nah, health wise you're fine.  Especially if it's something like a candy bar or some other pre-packaged chocolate because those things will be loaded with preservatives.  The best by dates are usually just when the things are getting old enough that the taste will start declining.

Now, if you push this too far, YES, chocolate can become bad for you if you wait long enough.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.