Family dog not doing well, family not ready to put down?

I haven’t ever had to put a dog down. I have a almost 14 year old dog. He lost use of his back legs and cannot use a wheelchair because his front legs are weak. He still eats, playful and still himself. Thing is he urinates himself, we have to constantly bath him, change his diapers , bedding and pads. He also keeps getting pressure sores that we heal but then he’ll get new ones. It’s so overwhelming I love my dog but the 24/7 care is a lot. I want to put him down because I believe he’s suffering but my family is against it and I don’t want to be the bad guy. Any advice

people think differently concerning ending the life of something or someone they love. some dont mind being caregivers and a dog if not near death naturally, loves being loved and responds in kind. your family is seeing something else when they care for their dog, they do not see pain and anguish, only love...

• Nathan

He doesn't have a quality of life right now. It would be cruel to force him to live his life like this, and as hard as it is you need to do what's best for him

I am so sorry that you are having to experience this - having to make a decision about when the best time to put an older dog down.

It is hard and heart breaking!!!!!

My dogs have all been outside dogs.

Several years ago I had a beautiful sable German Shepherd that had bad hips and bad elbows - he could not get up to go and relieve himself. He would look at me like he was so sorry for making a mess where he was laying. We decided to put him down, mainly because he could not get up and he seemed to be in pain. It was hard because I had him since the day he was born. He was 3 months shy of his 10th birthday.

You and the family need to reach an agreement about when the time would be right to put him down. Have you'll talked to the vet and see what their opinion is?

Good luck and try to remember that when he dies, he will be in a wonderful place and not hurt any more. ( That helps me a lot)!!!!!!!

• Maxi

It doesn't sound like this is your choice to make but your parents choice and they are ( in my opinion) keeping this dog for their own benefit not for the dogs benefit. I have had some experience with a dog like this with a damaged back which was 'adopted' from a no kill shelter by my partner as they were convinced they could get it walking again...... all the same symptoms you discribe and it is no fun at all living with a dog like this it was like living in a smelly dog kennel ( and I don't live like that) based on that experience for me a dog like that should be PTS , if it was my dog and in age it developed issues it is a harder decision, however PTS is the last act of kindness you can give to a dog you love. But I can't offer advice to you if your family who seem to be the decision makers are not making those decision, all I can do is empathise with you

• Jack H

Frequently dogs are kept alive for the benefit of their humans, causing the dog, suffering and pain, stop being so selfish and give your pet a dignified end, please, do not cause any more suffering to your dog...

• patty

its sad when your first pet dies

Well my dog who past away at 11 years old last March had a herniated disc is what the x-rays say, we're guessing he must of slipped on the stairs and fell or jumping off the high beds must have taken a toll. He got paralysis in his back legs and started dragging them around, I was at university at the time so got all this info from my mom in a text. She explained all the whining he did and it was hard for him to take the pills he needed, he needed help going to the washroom (being held up) wouldn't eat and always panting. I arrived home, he was in his bed panting and had his water dish next to him, I arrived home and my mom said she was told he had a less than 5% chance of recovery in surgery, he was suffering so my mom came to the conclusion to put him down and I agreed. If you think they're suffering, and if they truly are, it would be inhumane to keep them living as they are. He would be up all night panting and whining and just being uncomfortable, I'm glad he's not suffering anymore, he was a good little dog.

Anyone who would let a dog suffer like that shouldn't have a dog.

• Matt

I ve had to put many pets to sleep. It s never easy to do.

• In

If you really love him then do the merciful thing and let him go.