So a dog can recognize you years later?

My younger cousin used to play with the neighbor's Mastiff for 3 years. It was a puppy at first and when it got older, he would sometimes take it for a walk in the park. It's been 5 years later. My cousin is now 16 years old. He visited his neighborhood recently. The dog (now getting closer to old age and... show more My younger cousin used to play with the neighbor's Mastiff for 3 years.
It was a puppy at first and when it got older, he would sometimes take it for a walk in the park.

It's been 5 years later. My cousin is now 16 years old. He visited his neighborhood recently. The dog (now getting closer to old age and larger) still lives there and it recognized him. It seemed happy to see him.

Considering my cousin is all grown-up now, is much taller and his voice is different, that's a good memory. Can a dog recognize you from that far back? 5 years is a lot.