Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

I don't understand, why is it wrong to say: "how many years do have in English"?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Best Answer

because either the subject or the object is missing

• Lighter2 months agoReport

What do you think? Saying how many years do you have is wrong or not?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You could say any of the following:

How many years have you been studying English?

How many years have you been speaking English?

How many years OF EXPERIENCE do you have in English? [You might hear a question like that in a job interview.]

• Pontus
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Simply because that's not how native English speakers word out.

There are languages that word it that way, so it can make sense, but it doesn't in English because we word it differently. Some other languages word it similarly to English as well. Our way also makes sense (but not in languages that think about it in a different way).

For right, wrong, or indifferent, English speakers do not have years. Instead, they are a certain number of years old.

I saw the comment where you said you forgot the YOU in the question (which is required in English, but again, in some languages, it isn't).

Different languages do things differently.

Although I imagine there are languages that allow both ways of thinking about, the few I know well enough use one method to talk about age: years old (or something very similar) or having years. One or other, not both.

• 2 months ago

It's like saying "how much beers do you drink" also it doesn't make sense. A person does not hold years in there pocket or physically touch them. Its simply "how old are you" or " how many years have you (studied, understood, spoke, etc) English "?

• Lighter2 months agoReport

You know I asked this question because this sentence is a literal translation from my first language to English.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.