i cAnT saVE mOneYY HELP?

Everytime payday comes I seem to spend it all online within a matter of a week. It's so annoying and I feel guilty. I am a college student and I live with my parents yet. I need to save up for a better car (current one is falling apart) and for a future. HELP. What can I do???? I can put money aside (in savings) but I usually tap into that when I realize I have no gas but I spent up all my checking account on fun things.

• Stoo
    Favorite Answer

Ultimately you will have to develop some willpower to stop impulsive decisions. But in the meantime purge all accounts of credit card information so you can't just impulse buy on a whim. Put your credit card somewhere that's difficult to access so you deliberately have to get it. That way you have time to ask yourself whether the purchase is something you really need or whether you really have the money for it now. Reward yourself occasionally so you're not feeling too miserable and miserly - when you hit a savings goal, budget yourself a treat from that. But online shopping in particular tries to make it easy to impulse by, and if you do you'll be bankrupt in a hurry.

• Jules4 months agoReport

I definitely think its the willpower that is an issue for me. I watch influencers online buy everything they want and I turn arouhd and feel like I need to do the same. I think it's a generation problem. Ill try your tips, thx.

Give some money every payday to your parents to hold for you.

• NONAME

I see your in college yet you have not learned the most important lesson...we are all in debt...all the time...we never get out..there is no getting out until you embrace it..take even more chances. more loans for dreams and ideas...put yourself more into debt..and dont worry about it...now dont let things go unchecked...but usually you can pay what you have and not more

• Pam

I totally understand. I have a slight case of that also. Do you budget yourself? It doesn't sound like it. You definitely need to go to your bank and have money transfer to your savings account AUTOMATICALLY every single payday. Even if it's only $10. Then, DON'T TOUCH IT! You have to have more self discipline and budget your money so you won't have to tap into your savings account. You have to forget that it's even there. USE MORE DISCIPLINE.

• Jules4 months agoReport

Nope, I didn't have a budget. I don't have that many expenses right now cuz I'm still living at home...but I could see it becoming a serious problem down the road. Thanks for ur input.

i would try to save some of your money so this dont happen

No one can help you but you. You need to develop the willpower to stop.

That being said, try living on cash only. Take out your budget for the week (whatever percentage of your pay you want to spend) and put your cards (debit/credit) away so you can't make online purchases. Once you cash for the week is gone, it's gone so use it wisely. Make sure you buy the necessities, like gas for you are. The money in your savings account is off limits. Period.