Writing a book/visual novel?

Any guides as to how I should write? I'm generally a guy that goes into too much detail and then goes off topic so I'm very cautious when it comes to writing books/novels and I want advice on common mistakes.
Update: So assuming I was writing a horror visual novel (role-playing game in other words) with 5 main characters names A, B, C, D, E. I have a rough profile for each (their personality and stuff). So, 1. How do I introduce the player to the story. 2. Is there any rule of thumb that helps figure out if there is a bit too... show more So assuming I was writing a horror visual novel (role-playing game in other words) with 5 main characters names A, B, C, D, E. I have a rough profile for each (their personality and stuff). So,
1. How do I introduce the player to the story.
2. Is there any rule of thumb that helps figure out if there is a bit too much chatting going on for one chapter.