How do I reach out to an ex for a group event?

So my ex boyfriend and I broke up in April. We met tailgating two years ago and have the same group of friends that we tailgate with. He hasn't come to any of the games yet this season and people keep asking me about him. We haven't talked since April but I am thinking about reaching out to let him know... show more So my ex boyfriend and I broke up in April. We met tailgating two years ago and have the same group of friends that we tailgate with. He hasn't come to any of the games yet this season and people keep asking me about him. We haven't talked since April but I am thinking about reaching out to let him know people want him to come and that I'm fine with it.

I don't want to sound like a ***** and have it come off like he has my "permission" but I want him to know I'd like him there if he wants to come. What do I text?