Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 3 months ago

How can I further my education without my former school knowing?

Okay, this is the problem. I dated a girl a few years ago who worked for a community college and is in a position to see peoples records and grades. Anyway, I graduated from this college and then we broke up (she was psycho) and now I want to further my education, but she will have access to see any college I've transferred to and I don't want her to know where I'm going and my personal business. How can I avoid this?

• MS
    Favorite Answer

She won't know where you've transferred to.  If she has a certain degree of access, she might be able to see where you've requested transcripts be sent.  But schools don't really keep record of where their former students end up.

As others have pointed out, I'm not sure you are correct that this woman would know about your request or where those transcripts were sent. Just working at a CC doesn't give a person access to your files or to the transcript request process.

If you honestly believe that this could be a issue, you need to either file a restraining order and or speak with someone at the CC in higher authority.  Explain your concern and ask that she not be informed of your request.  

• Daniel

Normally the only relationship between a former school and a current one would simply be a transcript request.  Most of those are done by an online clearing house and a human being isn't even in the loop.  If your old school still uses a human being to stuff a transcript in an envelope, the only way she would see anything would be if she were stuffing the envelope or had access to the list of transcript requests.  If that is the case, just request transcripts be sent to multiple schools and she won't know which one you are actually going to.   

The only other way your former school would have any insight into your current school would be if you were transferring credits back to your previous school for a degree.

I'm not sure how to help, but I can relate. About 20 years ago, I was in a lab at a college where people take tests, and I heard the people in charge talking & laughing about students, their grades, and what schools they had been to. Apparently, people have access to more info than they should. Perhaps you could contact your former college and tell them to transfer you info privately?

• .

That's normally institutional research data reported in the aggregate and wouldn't be associated (directly) with your academic record. So it would require some deeper digging on her part. But there's nothing you can really do about that.

• Stoo

Unless she personally is doing all calls for transcripts, she won't know. And if as psycho as you suggest here, I would go to her boss directly and say given circumstances you'd prefer it was handled by someone else. It would help here if there's a record of this - for example if you have a restraining order on her, that would basically compel the college to work around her.