Can you ask an urgent care or clinic to delete your records?

Is it possible to ask a medical provider to delete your records or particular record from you file

• Linda

No. You can ask to take a medicine that you no longer take removed, but not the actual medical records. That is against the law.

Medical providers are legally required to maintain medical records for a certain period of time. The usual standard is 7 years, but there's almost certainly variation on that requirement changes geographically.

You can ask, but they won't do it.  As others have noted, your medical records are legal documents.  HIPPA protects your privacy.  The clinic can't share any information without to permission.  

No, its a legal document. You can ask to have addendums placed or additional notes/corrections, but they can not nor will they delete a record.

• marty

No. They need those records for their own uses, from billing to lawsuits they'll have to have proof on procedures they performed.

• y

You can ask anything you'd like, doesn't mean they will do it. I was at a specialist i see every couple of years this past year. The list of medication I have been on and what I was on, was wrong. I stood there for 15 minutes going through the list with them to correct it. I look back on the electronic copy a few weeks later, it is still wrong. I normally wouldn't care but they have listed all sorts of painkillers, the addictive crap. I do have chronic pain but I have never been prescribed that crap. I want them off the list becouse part of the battle every time I see a doc is yes, I am in pain, no I do not want drugs. I want my shots, only last 6 months to a year but even that short relief is awesome. But getting past the I do not want pills point, is always a battle. As I said, I went this year, my doc has a new intern, he looked at the x rays and ignored the MRI's and the 15 year history, MRI's showing the changes every 3 years or so. His first response was take a couple of Tylenol and go home. I have nerve damage, the MRI's show it, look at the damn things and stop talking about the insignificant arthritis in the x rays.

• Tulip

No it doesn't work that way