is it safe to travel to Dagestan?

I want to travel to Dagestan to visit the Eagles nest. I want to see the region where he grew up, wrestled with bears, where he trains, etc. I want to visit the Eagles MMA gym in Sil'di. I want to just experience the culture of the region. One problem.. I'm not Muslim. Will I have issues?

No. It's full of backward people.

• Yes

Well, unfortunately the economics of Dagestan are poor. Economically they suffer with poor infrastructure and the people there live under poor conditions as well. Dagestan is an extremely diverse cultural region, but with the poor conditions they live under there's not much for tourism. There are beaches in the capital of Makhachkala, which are maintained and visitors can enjoy restaurants and sites along the Caspian sea. But, then there are also beaches that don't look all that great. Dagestan is kind of like Detroit, you might get robbed, you might be harmed, but there's also a higher chance that you'll just be left alone. As long as you don't do anything stupid, most people in Dagestan will show you hospitality and mutual respect. I would say it's safe to visit. If you'd be fine visiting Detroit, then Dagestan won't be all that bad. The only thing that's bad about Dagestan is the poverty, not the people... So, with no offense intended, all I will say is that unfortunately, they just don't have much for tourists to enjoy. Maybe with your interests, you will really enjoy visiting Dagestan, just don't expect Dagestan to be rich and full of entertainment.

• Marc

Probably no worse than milling around New Orleans at night, St. Louis MO, or bad areas of New York City...

WARNING: Travel to Dagestan is strongly discouraged, due to high criminal activity, frequent bombings, and general lawlessness and crime. As Chechnya's neighbour, Chechen terrorists often target Russians in Dagestan in bombings and other terrorist acts. At the same time, Salafist extremists (largely foreign) have engaged in violent conflict against native, moderate Sufi groups, in pursuit of the establishment of Sharia law. If you are planning to visit Dagestan, consult your embassy before you are planning a trip to this region.

• abdul

Any of those areas that end in "stan" should probably be avoided by non Muslim tourists.

i dont think its safe anywheres so you might as well take the risk