Is it illegal to point someone to a link (like a link to a google page) that shares copyrighted content?

Say, for example, that my friend wants to download (to pirate) a movie. He searches on Google but doesn't find it, and so asks for my help. I then do a quick search and find a link for it, but I don't download it myself nor watch it in any way. If I send him the link, would I be liable for pirating as... show more Say, for example, that my friend wants to download (to pirate) a movie. He searches on Google but doesn't find it, and so asks for my help. I then do a quick search and find a link for it, but I don't download it myself nor watch it in any way. If I send him the link, would I be liable for pirating as well?

I understand that the likelihood of getting into real trouble for sharing a URL via messenger to a friend is fairly low, but I'm curious to know whether there's a rule of law somewhere saying it's illegal to do this sort of thing.

Thanks
1 answer 1