Best city in Germany?

I will be going to Germany for the first time in March/April time. I’m wondering where the best place to go is for a first time visitor. The two planes I had in mind were Berlin and Frankfurt but I’m open to more suggestions and why you would pick to go there. Thank you.

• Orla C

Munich is well worth visiting too.

Somehow Berlin has never appealed although Berlin itself may be ok and interesting. For me, Frankfurt with the Rhine and then going south into Bavaria, is way better. I have been as far north in Germany as Hamburg and the northern border and much prefer the softer German people (attitude) and countryside of the south of the country.

Berlin is a far more interesting city than Frankfurt, which is industrial. But there are many other areas with beautiful scenery and charming smaller cities. You can get around easily on the trains. Dresden and Leipzig are near Berlin, or you can go south to Bavaria.

• Frank

Dumb dumb...WHY are you going to Germany? Business? School? Friends? It isn't a place I would go to for vacation per se...and I have been a bunch of times...mainly as a tag along in a family where my Dad would go to a conference...and we could drive all over. We would visit several countries during this time...and visit relatives and do the conference things. Personally I like Switzerland. Austria is nice too.