What does this mean when a girl responds like this?

This girl is new to my school and we are friends so I figured why not ask her to the school formal. So I asked a her out to the formal. Me: “If nobody’s asked you do you wanna go with me?” and she responded with “yea maybe” and we talked casually for a minute or so and then she says “I don’t know it depends on if... show more This girl is new to my school and we are friends so I figured why not ask her to the school formal.
So I asked a her out to the formal. Me: “If nobody’s asked you do you wanna go with me?” and she responded with “yea maybe” and we talked casually for a minute or so and then she says “I don’t know it depends on if someone else asks me”... isn’t that just a WTF answer. I was a bit confused but if she answered like that, is she worth my time. I really like her as well and was sure she’d say yes as she glances over at me every couple of minutes in class. I’d honestly be happier with a straight “no”.
But why would she say that, she’s not that rude usually, but she also acted really nervous and kind of froze when I asked her.