In Indiana, if you have signed a plea deal with public defender, is it possible to hire a lawyer and enter a new deal?

Someone close to me is currently awaiting sentencing in Indiana on drug charges. Originally the charges were a level 5 felony and 4 misdemeanors. She is using a public defender. She was offered a plea deal of -level 6 felony and 3 misdemeanors- which in terms she understood means 1.5 to 3.5 years incarceration instead of a possible 7 years. Basically any questions she asks her public defender are met with him rolling his eyes and scolding her for asking questions and not being grateful for the offer so she signed it. She is an army vet on disability and has no previous record at all. The charges are being faced 3 hours from where she lives. She was told that it wasn't a good idea to have it transfered to Veterans Court (which is only 20 minutes from where she lives). Any advice or similar experiences would be appreciated.

5 Answers

  • 3 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    It is possible to hire a lawyer. However, it might not be possible to get a new deal. A "deal" is something that happens only if both sides agree and if she backs out of this deal, the prosecution might not agree to a new one.

  • 3 months ago

    Yes. A plea deal is a good faith contract that the prosecution will agree to a lesser sentence contingent upon the defendant pleading guilty in court. Until that has occurred, nothing is written in stone and that is assuming the judge is in agreement. Not sure if your friend would qualify for the special circumstances of Veterans Court, but it would be a bonus if your friend did.

  • 3 months ago

    Nope. Once the plea deal is signed and done, its' done.

  • 3 months ago

    An Army veteran would never get involved with drugs unless she had serious mental health issues. As a veteran of the United States Marine Corps. I have absolutely zero sympathy for her. She made her bed let her sleep in it.

    • Area3 months agoReport

      She is an army vet. and she is involved with drugs and while manageable, she does have serious mental health issues? So you are saying toss this non violent citizen in need of rehabilitation in jail where she will get worse without proper representation because? What exactly were you fighting for?

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

    You can withdraw your plea anytime before

    your court appearance.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.