Would I technically be considered of Latino descent?

So the college application season is here and that question about whether or not we are of Latino descent still has me thinking. My mother is Chinese and was born in China, but my father is also Chinese, but he was born in Panama (along with his siblings). (There is an ethnic minority of Chinese immigrants that... show more So the college application season is here and that question about whether or not we are of Latino descent still has me thinking.

My mother is Chinese and was born in China, but my father is also Chinese, but he was born in Panama (along with his siblings). (There is an ethnic minority of Chinese immigrants that have lived in Panama for generations so the Spanish and Chinese cultures intertwined over the years.) To anyone, I m simply an Asian American born in the heart of NYC, with no Spanish heritage. The fact is however that my father s Spanish-Chinese culture is, I d say, a large part of my identity. So much so that all my siblings, despite being born in NYC, have dual citizenship in the US and Panama (I m not old enough to naturalize there yet). My grandmother even (my dad s mom) still texts me in Spanish despite my extremely limited vocabulary.

About intermarriage with another Spanish-speaking person in Panama: it likely did not happen, but I do know that my grandfather (my dad s dad) was born in Panama as well. The question that remains is if I am or not technically of Latino descent seeing as Latino is simply defined as a person of Latin America (Panama included) heritage/origin.

Also, I am in absolutely no way asking this to try and take advantage of affirmative action; it s just something I wanted to find some answers to. Regardless of whether the answer to the question is yes or no, I know nothing will change in regards to my own identity.

Thank you.