Are VW diesel engines reliable (2013 Passat)?

Today I went to a VW dealership (here in SoCal) and saw a 2013 Passat TDI SE 2.0 that I liked. I've never owned a diesel car before and don't know anything about them except that they take diesel fuel (and the engine sounds different). I *think* it seemed to be a good deal--it only had 34,000 miles. The... show more Today I went to a VW dealership (here in SoCal) and saw a 2013 Passat TDI SE 2.0 that I liked. I've never owned a diesel car before and don't know anything about them except that they take diesel fuel (and the engine sounds different).

I *think* it seemed to be a good deal--it only had 34,000 miles. The price was just under $12,000, out-the-door w/taxes & tag for $13,400.

I'd of course check the Kelly Blue Book value, but is this a reliable car? The salesman explained the whole fuel mileage scandal, and said that VW had to buy back all those cars from consumers, and now those cars are being offered for sale for good prices.