Why was Yellowstone NP established?

I'm not totally convinced that the govt created Yellowstone for the *sole* preservation of a scenic area. At a time when they were hellbent on conquering the West. The act does say: "hereby reserved and withdrawn from settlement, occupancy, or sale under the laws of the United States, and dedicated and set... show more I'm not totally convinced that the govt created Yellowstone for the *sole* preservation of a scenic area. At a time when they were hellbent on conquering the West. The act does say: "hereby reserved and withdrawn from settlement, occupancy, or sale under the laws of the United States, and dedicated and set apart as a public park or pleasuring ground for the benefit and enjoyment of the people"
However is it 100% genuine? Or maybe it was *in part* influenced by perhaps not finding that the isolated land had much economic value? Lol I know this isn't a reliable source but most sites will simply say "oh what a great job the govt did!" which doesn't help confirm my thoughts.