If I file a police report as a witness, will I be able to get updates on what is happening?

I witnessed a guy being beaten by a big group of people and left laying in the middle of the street 50 feet from my house unable to move. I called the police and told them what I saw, but I don't know/am not related to anyone involved. I do believe my neighbors were involved, however, I don't personally... show more I witnessed a guy being beaten by a big group of people and left laying in the middle of the street 50 feet from my house unable to move. I called the police and told them what I saw, but I don't know/am not related to anyone involved. I do believe my neighbors were involved, however, I don't personally know them. I would really like to know how the guy is doing, and whether or not anyone involved was caught. Do the police update you? If not, is there any other way to find out? I already checked online, couldn't find anything.